Thursday, January 19, 2012

Seeing the Faces

It's sad to admit, but I often worry that Americans have grown numb to the recent onslaught of world hunger commercials, usually inundated with sad pictures of starving children wearing raggedy clothes and covered in flies. I think maybe we steel ourselves to these realities partly because the idea is overwhelming, and what could we possibly do about it? I think the other factor in our avoidance is the mere disconnect with the reality of the situation. How bad could it really be? Surely somebody is going to take care of the situation.
I've been blessed enough to visit several developing countries and missions around the world. I have always come back feeling that the people have changed and served me more than I could possibly serve them. I have built wonderful relationships and learned many great life lessons from the friends I have made.
Harvest of Talents is a very personal experience for me, because I have MET the people that this endeavor works to benefit. Two summers ago, I had the great privilege of visiting and working with the Massai people in Kenya. They were a happy people group, hardly like the sad faces you see in the commercials. But they are also a group of people in great need. I have learned recently that the people that I met in Nchishi are currently suffering from an overwhelming famine. The friends that we made, and the students we taught, are literally starving to death. HOW could I possibly sit by, knowing that my friends, and brothers & sisters in Christ, are STARVING?
Katie with some of her 4th graders
Denise, teaching 3rd grade
Rachel, with some of her 6th graders

Denise & Students
Team with students at a local traditional dance competition.
Rachel, teaching class
I hope that, even if you have not had a chance to meet some of these people, you would really look at them. Imagine your own child, or sibling, or parent literally dying because there is no food.
I am SO excited about Harvest of Talents. And I am comforted to know that, while our Harvest of Talents is still a little ways out, IDES has already stepped in to help my friends in Nchishi, Kenya. They are using funds from programs like Harvest of Talents.
Friends, YOU can make a difference. Our talents were given to us through the grace of God. He is the all-powerful and the epitome of creative. Who are we to underestimate or undermine what he has created in us? Whether it's car maintenance, tutoring skills, a craft, music, food... anything... YOU can feed my friends in Nchishi, and our brothers and sisters all around the world.
See you in May! And again in October :)
- Denise

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace. 
1 Peter 10. 

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful reminder of how we can use our talents and abilities to serve God and our brothers and sisters in Christ. I loved seeing the pics and remembering my students and our friends! Thanks for sharing, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/ most people being "too far removed" from the situation...I'm glad you were able to visit and help this village - what an encouragement to others. Thanks for sharing, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete